Founded in Queensland in 1936, Cullens was the first patent firm in Brisbane. Today, we are one of Australia’s most experienced firms of patent and trade mark attorneys.
Cullens was established in 1936 by George Russell Cullen under the name GR Cullen & Co.
The GR Cullen & Co office was located at the Commercial Bank Chambers, 239 Queen Street, Brisbane
In June 2009, the firm officially adopted the name Cullens.
In 2016, we celebrated Cullens 80th anniversary.
The Cullen eagle is derived from an armorial coat of arms and embraces the stars of the Southern Cross. It is represented in Australia’s national colours of green and gold.
Today Cullens is led by 7 principals of various technical backgrounds, supported by a number of attorneys and administrative staff.
Please click and drag images
George Cullen was registered as a patent attorney on 24 April 1922. He filed his first patent application for a client in Brisbane on 24 March 1924 for an engineer from Eagle Street in Brisbane.
The firm was a family practice with George Russell Cullen as the attorney and Gwen Cullen, one of George’s two daughters, working on the administrative side and witnessing the patent applications. George’s second daughter, Mavis Cullen, was tragically killed in a tram accident in Brisbane and George passed away soon thereafter at the age of 58 in 1948. Gwen Cullen passed away in 1989.
In 1957 Joseph Stephenson, a patent examiner and registered patent attorney from Canberra, then joined GR Cullen & Co. and became a partner together with Mark Callinan. In 1961, Mark Callinan was bought out by Robert R Michel. Michel was a patent examiner and qualified patent attorney from Melbourne.
Through the years from 1961, the firm grew from a partnership of two, to a firm having almost 20 attorneys. In the 1990’s, the ‘GR’ was dropped from the name of the firm. More recently, the firm was renamed ‘Cullens’.